Catastrophic Case Management
A catastrophic injury can be a devastating and costly event—and requires medical experts that are specially trained in this field.
In catastrophic cases, time is critical.
The right approach to catastrophic care management can significantly reduce the length of an injured employee or client’s disability, while ensuring a high quality of care at an appropriate cost.
What is Catastrophic Case Management?
When a severe, traumatic injury occurs, the diagnosis can be complex, and the road to recovery may be extensive. Catastrophic injury case management reduces the long-term risks and costs for the injured person, employer, and insurer by working with the providers and identifying the best, most appropriate next level of care.
We act as a liaison among all parties, coordinate care, with the goal to help the injured person receive the highest level of care possible to maximize their medical outcome and, if appropriate, allow them to return to work quickly. If return to work is not possible, our goal is to maximize the injured person’s quality of life by reintegrating them into the community.
How a Catastrophic Nurse Case Manager at Palmetto Can Help
Palmetto’s highly skilled catastrophic care management team is uniquely qualified to deliver the best outcome in each case. All of our case managers come from a rehabilitation and/or emergency trauma background and have significant training and deep expertise in catastrophic case management. This means we can provide timely guidance and recommendations throughout the recovery process.
The nurse case manager will:
- Follow the injured person’s care and treatment plans from start to finish.
- Facilitate medically necessary services and address long-term needs.
- Coordinate the different levels of care necessary (e.g., acute hospitalization, rehabilitation, post-acute care).
- Bridge communication between all parties, including the injured person, family, medical providers, insurance carriers, and the employer.
- Provide ongoing support to the injured person and their family.